Open source It is an expression of the English language that belongs to the field of computing . Although it can be translated as "Open source" , it is usually used in our language directly in its original version, without its corresponding translation.
It is described as open source, therefore, to the computer programs that allow access to your programming code , which facilitates modifications by other programmers outside the original creators of the software in question.
It is important to distinguish between open source software, which has the aforementioned feature of presenting its open source, and the free software (which can be downloaded and distributed for free). There is free software that does not provide access to code (and that, therefore, cannot be considered as open source), and open source programs that are distributed commercially or that require authorization to be modified.
Although both notions are often confused, usually the idea of open source is linked to a philosophy of joint work on computer programs. When access to the source code is provided, the community of programmers can make their contributions to solve possible failures, increase usability and improve the program at a general level.
Among the most popular open source programs, are the following:
* the browser of Internet Firefox , which offers great stability, as well as a large number of functions and tools for a smooth and complete browsing experience. It includes protection against scams, identity theft and unsecured transactions, and ensures more efficient use of computer memory than its competitors;
* the office package Open office , the most important in open source. It has what is necessary for the creation and editing of animated presentations, text documents, sheets of calculation, databases and graphics, among others. One of its strengths is that it is available in several languages and is highly compatible with different operating systems. In addition, it allows to open and save Microsoft Office files, as well as export to PDF format;
* FileZilla, a complete and efficient FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with graphical interface and compatible with various operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS and Linux. It supports the main features of these platforms, offering a very difficult experience to overcome, due to its great popularity among developers of websites;
* the 7-Zip file archiver, often praised for its efficiency and compression rate. It is an infallible tool that allows you to create and decompress ZIP, RAR, ARJ, TAR, ISO, DEB and 7z files, among many others;
* FullSync, a tool which allows to create backup copies and synchronize files. It is very powerful and offers a good degree of customization;
* ClamWin, an antivirus for the Windows operating system that is distributed free of charge and includes frequent updates, revision planner, context menu for the file browser and an add-on for the Outlook program;
* the Notepad ++ text editor, a brilliant application used by millions of programmers worldwide, given its infinite number of functions ideal for code editing, but also for the creation of any text document. It is very easy to customize and allows you to change the appearance of your interface, expand or reduce the text in real time, open several files simultaneously and place them in the toolbar. tabs (or tabs), browse remote directories using an FTP plug-in, compare files and perform searches in folder trees with great efficiency;
* operating systems Android (developed by Google ) and Ubuntu (which appeals to the core of Linux ).