In Latin it is where we can clearly find the etymological origin of the word merchant. Specifically, it emanates from the Latin noun commercium, composed in turn by two distinct parts: the prefix with-, which is equivalent to “set”, and the word merx, which can be translated as "merchandise."
Merchant is the person what trades (that is to say, which is dedicated to negotiate buying and selling merchandise ). The term is used to name who is business owner or who works in a job Commerce . For example: “My father is a merchant: he has a computer supply center in the center”, “The merchants of the neighborhood demand greater security in the face of the wave of robberies”, “I was once a successful trader, although the economic crisis of the '90s forced me to close the business”.
It is interesting to highlight, in addition to all the above, that merchants develop one of the oldest activities in the world. And it is that already in the Neolithic there were all kinds of transactions, which at that time revolved around agriculture. Then over time they expanded and developed with activities such as bartering or with elements such as the appearance of money.
It should be noted that the performance of an act of commerce does not imply that a person is a merchant, since whoever buys in a store is also part of this type of action. However, in that case, it is a accidental subject of trade . The merchant, on the other hand, is the one who performs commercial acts on a regular basis.
At commercial law , merchants or merchant subjects are the people who are regulation object . In other words, a merchant is a person to whom commercial laws apply.
These regulations, among many other aspects, make it clear that the merchant as such has a series of very important obligations so that his activity is under the necessary parameters of legality. Specifically, they determine that you have to comply with these actions:
• It is essential that you carry out a thorough accounting of your business.
• In order to carry out your commercial activity, it is vital that you are registered in the corresponding commercial register.
• Of course, you must keep all the documentation related both to your premises and to the exercise of your activity.
• Another of the most important obligations that merchants are also required is that they pay the corresponding taxes, based on their exercise.
• All this without forgetting that it must be subject to all those actions that are requested by the State entities and that are dedicated to the control of commercial activity.
In some countries, and according to the context, the term can be used derogatory or critical . In these cases, merchant is someone who lies or cheats with the intention of completing a commercial transaction, scamming another person: “This doctor is a merchant: every time I go to the office, he wants to sell me some new treatment”, "Miguel is a merchant, he is always trying to get some advantage in his favor", “I am a professional who trades, not a merchant”.